- CAPE COD
- MARTHA’S VINEYARD
veryone knows about the Boston Tea Party, when tons of the stuff were dumped into the harbor, but it’s another of the city’s ties to tea that gave rise to one of its least known but most impressive sculptures. The Salada Tea Company’s original U.S. headquarters and manufacturing plant, built on Stuart Street in 1917, incorporated ornate and enormous doors designed by British sculptor Henry Wilson and awarded a medal at the 1927 Paris Salon. Twelve feet tall, weighing in at two tons, the doors comprise an architectural masterpiece worth stopping to admire (it’s now the entrance to the restaurant Grill 23 & Bar), depicting the cultivation of tea on an impressive series of carved bronze panels. Templeton
Salada Tea Building sculptor Henry Wilson also designed Holy Trinity Church on London’s Sloane Street and the bronze bas-relief west doors of the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York.
Henry Wilson doors at the Salada Tea Building
330 Stuart St. at Berkeley Street
Boston, MA 02116
Find on a map|Get directions.
These lines serve the Salada Tea Building. Click to find more secrets on your route.
Find more secrets in the Back Bay
© 2017 | ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Named the best travel blog in Boston by The Guardian newspaper